Gw2 - along time - gets really slow even on modern sataIII HDD.
This happens because your gw2.dat files, which contains all in-game models, textures, maps etc gets fragmented and scattered all around your HDD sectors.
Symptoms are slow texture loadings, increased OS loading time, performance decrease etc.DO NOT DEFRAG YOUR DISK IF IT IS A SSD! (thanks Twapper)
In order to keep the database files all contiguous (to help the system read it without jumping all around the disk), you need to defrag.
You may want to defrag your HDD very often, but that could takes a lot of time.
You can optimize your GW2.dat file only. If you want, do the following:
- download the utility "Contig" from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897428.aspx
- extract the content somewhere
- from windows start menu execute the command cmd
- now go to the folder you extract the contig.exe file (eg. if you extracted it on the desktop type cd \Desktop
or cd C:\Users\[yourusernamehere]\Desktop
- type contig.exe "c:\program files (x86)\guild wars2\gw2.dat"
(yes, with the " if you have spaces in the path)
- wait for the process to finish (it's a long process depending on how your database is fragmented)
If you prefer, there's also a GUI (interface) for contig, named "power defragmenter gui" that you can download from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/power_defragmenter_gui.html
I did not test it but I guess it make the whole process a bit easier.
Hope it helps